Sunday, August 17, 2008

Humpy's Half Marathon

Me, Brandi and some random dude.


Runners waiting to start



Here we go!
Here we come!
Look at that stride
Our time 2:12



Humpy's alehouse, Skinny Raven Sports, and Snow city cafe sponsored various races today. My friend and I ran the Skinny Raven 1/2 marathon (formerly Humpy's 1/2 - just to confuse everyone). It was a typical overcast Alaska day - which is perfect for running. The course was flat and fast. This was my 3rd 1/2 marathon this summer, and I must admit, my least favorite. It's an out and back loop course. The race followed the Coastal Trail, which is a great trail, but very narrow. It was hard trying to get your spot along the course with hundreds of other runners trying to do the same. Then it got tricky - as we were going out, half marathoners had turned around, and were coming back. You gotta pay attention, or someone could crash into you.
We had a really fast pace for the first 8 miles, and then we got extremely light headed and dizzy. That slowed us down big time. Even with Gu and water, we had trouble. I must admit, we had not trained as well for this race, but we still finished in a fairly decent time at 2 hours and 12 minutes. We did not beat our Mayor's time, but that's okay.
I really enjoy Alaska races because so many of my friends and co-workers are runners, and I love seeing everybody on the course.
Keep on runnin'!

1 comment:

mjbergs1314@gmail.com said...

are those "BFF" braclets on both of your knees, thought that was cool they matched ;)

way to go!!!